Thursday, January 29, 2009

Less cookies or higher prices?*


Even the Girl Scouts or America have tough decisions to make. A recent article on CNN reports people will find one to four less cookies per box this year. So instead of raising the price on a $3.50 box of goodness you will get two to four less Thin Mints. From cookies, to laundry detergent to cereal to baby formula a lot of companies are practicing raising prices by lowering quantities. Sure, I understand they are trying to shift the supply curve to right but are they also trying to get the customer to purchase their product more often?

What other products have you noticed this trend of reducing the size but keeping the price the same?

Would you rather have the same price but lower quantity or a higher price with a higher quantity

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think I would rather have higher prices than lower quantities because at least this way I know the price is higher and they are getting more money out of me. Then I can make a more educated decision about what I am going to buy.

With lower quantities it is more shady because chances are you might not realize they aren't giving you as much.

Anonymous said...

I realized this also, even during the Christmas season when I was shopping for perfume for my mom, I noticed a lot of new bottles, a little more fancy looking some a little more plain, but when I read the label as to how much was inside there was a considerable difference than the last time I went looking for perfume.

Also, a lot of food products are doing this. I look at labels constantly when with my mom grocery shopping and it's ridiculous how the packaging looks the same but you are actually getting less for your buck.

I'd definitely want the higher price higher quantity, because, I agree with Steph, I would then be making better buying decisions.

Anonymous said...

I agree with both of the girls. I would rather get more for a higher price. It's more convenient for the customer, because they will have to make less trips to the store. Sure, the goal of the company is to get the customer to come into the store more often to promote more impulse buys, but as a customer I spend less money on impulse buys and would prefer to go to the store less.
I also agree with Knoll about the shady side of less quantity. Customers don't specifically look at how much is in the bottle until it's at home, halfway used after a week. It almost seems like they are deceiving the customer. It's not being dishonest, but it's not being honest either if the customer continues shopping clueless.
A Anderson 5

Anonymous said...

I think it's a good strategy by the companies. Like the others said a lot of people who purchase the product won't notice the difference in quantity if it's small. People notice the change in price more I think.

I would rather have the change in price if i was the customer. I'm going to be looking for this now whenever I make a purchase.