Thursday, June 11, 2009

Facebook.com/MissedOpportunity


Facebook is rolling out another new feature that some people might actually want to pay for. But naturally, it's not charging. Another missed revenue opportunity.


Specifically, Facebook will start distributing vanity user URLs this Saturday at 12:01 a.m. ET. That is, instead of being facebook.com/ profile.php?id=49304583045308, you'll be able to send around a URL like facebook.com/coolguy.


Facebook will not charge for this feature. But it could! Given how many people spend money on virtual gifts on Facebook (and domain names), we think that millions of Facebook's users might spend something like $5 -- or even $5 a year -- for this sort of feature. (Certainly companies and self-promoting users.) Click here to read the entire article


Assume the role of CEO for Facebook. Justify why you believe not charging for vanity URLs is a good idea?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that charging facebook users for this new feature is a bad idea mostly because people that use facebook like the fact that it doesn't cost money. And if you start charging these users I think it will be a big mistake because once it starts costing money to use facebook they're not going to want to use facebook anymore.
Jeries F P.4

Anonymous said...

I have mixed feelings on this topic. As a facebook user myself I personally know I would not purchase a personal URL because I am only a high-schooler trying to keep in touch with friends. HOWEVER! As a business/opportunist with money i CERTAINLY would say give users the option of buying a personal URL. That is a great idea that so many fan site owners, business owners, and ESPECIALLY celebrities would want to do. I know that if I had a business and was trying to get it's name out there I would purchase a personal fbk URL and use that to my advantage by posting the URL on my advertising campaigns. If a company wants a website they have to buy it for more than just a facebook URL would probably be, thus its a less expensive way to have a company website that has a broad range of users signing on every day! And I know that celebrities would purchase a personal URL to promote themselves and to have people know that they are the real deal!

Amanda Period 4

Anonymous said...

If facebook started charging money just to use the actual facebook, I wouldn't pay. I love facebook don't get me wrong, but not enough to spend the hard earned dollar on it. All facebook does for me anyways is waste my time when I should be doing homework and it can cause drama. If they charged for a URL I wouldn't do it. Why would you get a URL when all you have to do is go to the search box and type in the person's name...it's pointless. They already charge for other things, they don't need to charge anyone just to have a simple URL. Besides, how many people did it anyways when it was free? I know I didn't.
kourtney m p.6

Anonymous said...

Facebook has a very big target market and all of them like it the way it is, so why change it? If facebook started charging for the URL I dont think people would continue to use it. Its pointless to make them pay for the URL when they already make them pa for other things. If they started to charge money I think they would lose the amount of people they have using their website.
Julie Pokriefka P.5